Friday, February 25, 2011

Alpha Review

Since I went over most of the stuff during the Alpha Review I'll keep this post brief. This week in addition to getting some sweet custom SPH kernels integrated which work really well for the viscosity stuff, I got the thermal diffusion working (temperature diffuses through the fluid until an equilibrium is reached in some distant timestep depending on a thermal diffusion constant) as well as a "real" viscosity term working using deformation and stress tensors. It works pretty well for a "melting" effect currently, although there are a lot of artifacts which I need to work out through playing with good ranges for the constants as well as maybe look at some other possible solutions.

One idea I had, was in addition to having just a "viscous fluid" state, would be a rigid body or solid state, in which pressure forces do not affect the particle itself and instead use rigid body dynamics (intertial tensors, center of mass, torque and the whole shebang) which will interact with the fluid. As adding something like this will really complicate the fluid dynamics and the entire fluid dynamics enginer, I want to stable the current viscosity structure and emulate results from the paper I am implementing before taking the dive, although I believe coupling these two approaches will lead to some really fantastic effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment