Friday, February 4, 2011

Some Models...

Here are a couple of models I've been sketching for how the simulation should work for different materials.

There are a few things: 1) I realized that with a physically accurate phase changing simulation (thank you Ian for pointing this out) the density and volume will be changing. For water this could potentially be a trivial case, as its fairly incompressible and has a pretty uniform density in its liquid state, and a uniform density which is higher in its solid state due to the way water crystallizes. Other materials such as metal do not act this way, and usually contract as they solidify, and their non-uniform structure (something like granite where the rock is made up of a bunch of different grains of different minerals, each with different properties) means that they might become increasingly more goopy (think like lava, or a slurpee) as the temperature changes. If a weakly compressible flow SPH implementation is controllable as far as these density parameters, it might be good to look into that. Otherwise I will have to figure out a way to fake the density change due to phase change.

2) I am unsure about fracturing in the material as the temperature increases. I believe that in the materials which I have discussed, this bond-breaking is occurring at a microscopic level, and that a lot of the fracturing which occurs in materials is actually a product of physical forces and deformations in combination with material properties at  varying temperatures (forging weakening the metallic bonds in order to more easily deform metal, etc.). I will focus on first simulating multi-phase flow...

3) Do I want to create a multi-phase flow simulation using air and material particles, or just material particles?That is do I want the heat transfer to occur automatically through the particle interactions in the sim through the air, or do I just use material particles and use another method of heat transfer. The system dynamics could be extremely different if I guess or estimate heat transfer through air by using the estimation methods in a lot of papers I've read, although it will definitely speed up simulation times.

In other news, I am trying to get some other SPH implementations I've found to work, but I am not having any luck with FLUIDS v.2, because of some changes made to CUDA 3.x from 2.3. I'm not sure if using this implementation is worth rolling my CUDA installation back to this version, or if it will even help but I am continuing to look for the best SPH implementation which would suit my needs. Although I can definitely say that looking at the source for these particle systems and SPH implementations is really helping me get a hold of what will be difficult to implement as far as the phenomena I've listed below. 

Once I decide on an implementation and get to creating the proper particle dynamics I will post some videos of preliminary results next week.

2 comments:

  1. I found some more info on the material science last night that is very useful.

    http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/geol212/2compphasdiag.html
    "TWO COMPONENT PHASE DIAGRAMS"
    is the search term that is a jack pot

    It allows you can find the difference between a UNARY and EUTECTIC phase states that show how different ice - unary, melts vs a alumnin-eutectic material

    So as one component starts to melt the other remains solid. I am not sure if that is a fracture per say, but interesting characteristic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Stuff!!

    I've also just realized that my mother is a geologist and did her PhD thesis on this type of thing related to quartz or something...I should probably speak with her about this...

    ReplyDelete