Thursday, March 31, 2011

Melting!

This week I implemented an alternative method for local deformations using the paper I described in a previous post. It seems to work pretty well, and by combining some different aspects of both implementations I was able to get a pretty good melting effect which I tied into the "jump" number which I then non-linearly tied to temperature. The jump number describes the viscosity of the fluid before applying shear stress as defining by the relative magnitudes of velocities of particles in a certain area, so by directly correlating this to temperature we can control the viscosity of the fluid with temperature. Some preliminary results are below.

One of the things I did notice is that by using both of these methods, the simulation time step has to be extremely low when considering fluids of extremely high viscosity. Otherwise we get some velocity instabilities which propogate through the entire fluid volume (visualized they look pretty psychadelic) which makes the rigid body object look like its shaking at an extremely high frequency. I tried implementing an adaptive timestep, but the timestep required for my testing was even slower than the timestep I was able to adjust manually...



My next steps will be implementing a mesh-loader->voxelizer->particle filler which will be able to take a mesh, turn it into a voxel grid structure, and then fill that voxel grid structure with particles depending on whether there was a 0 or 1 stored in the voxel grid.

No comments:

Post a Comment